Groups help you organize your students.
If you read our tutorial on Creating Courses, you have a pretty good idea of how to organize your students into Courses. However, there are times when you want to further organize your students. For instance, if you create a course for your choir class, you might want to also have your students organized by their voice parts (Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass). Or, if you created a course for your private studio, you might want to further organize your students by their skill levels (Beginning, Intermediate, Early Advanced, Advanced). That’s where Groups come in. You can add as many groups as you want to your courses. Once your students sign up for the course, you can drag and drop them into the appropriate group. (Please note that while students can be in multiple courses, they cannot be in more than one group within a course.)
Groups make it easier to assign lessons and assessments.
Once your groups are created and your students have been added to them, you can easily assign lessons and assessments to just the students in that group by selecting the group from the student column. For instance, if you want to send a rehearsal track just to the Alto section of your choir, you could easily do so just by selecting the Alto group you created. This allows you to easily create and assign targeted lessons.
How to add Groups to a Course.
It is really easy to add Groups to your Courses. The video below shows you step-by-step how to do it. Written instructions are also included below the video.
- Navigate to the Manage Courses & Groups page in your Instructor Collabra account.
- In the Course you want to add the group to, click on the yellow Add Group button.
- In the dialogue box that pops up, enter a name for the Group (this can be changed later) and click Add Group.
- You’ll see the Group appear as an empty yellow box inside of the Course.
- Repeat the process to add more groups.
How to add Students to a Group.
When students sign up for a Course, they are not automatically added to Groups. You will need to manually add students to the appropriate Group by dragging and dropping.
- To add a student to a Group, click on the student’s name (box) inside the course and drag the box into the Group.
- Once the student has been added to the Group, you’ll see the student’s name inside the yellow Group container.
- To remove a student from a Group, simply drag and drop the student outside the Group.
How to Rename a Group.
- Below the Group name, click on the Rename Group link.
- In the dialogue that pops up, enter a new name for the Group and click Rename Group.
- You’ll see the new name appear in the Group.
How to Delete a Group.
- Below the Group name, click on the Delete Group link.
- In the dialogue box that pops up, confirm that you want to delete the Group by clicking the red Delete Group button.
- The Group will be removed from the Course and any students that were in the Group will remain inside the Course, outside of a Group.
Wrapping it up.
Once your Groups have all be created and your students have been added to the Groups, you’ll see the Groups appear in the STUDENTS column. To use Groups when assigning Lessons or Assessments, simply click on the checkbox to the left of the Group name. This will select the Group, along with all of the students inside the Group.